I was so saddened to hear of Stephen Hawkings passing. After losing my beautiful Mum last month to Motor Neurone Disease, I know how debilitating the symptoms were. Hawking overcame huge obstacles to become a world renowned scientist. Not only was he a best selling author and award winning physicist but he appeared on Star Trek and that makes him a star in my book.
Over his career, he has made some wonderful discoveries, but also some very thought provoking comments. Take a look at some of his best.
1. "However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
2. "I am just a child who has never grown up. I still keep asking these 'how' and 'why' questions. Occasionally, I find an answer."
3. "I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth."
4. "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
5. "In my opinion, there is no aspect of reality beyond the reach of the human mind."
6. "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."
7. "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."
8. "People who boast about their IQ are losers."
9. "People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining."
10. "Science is not only a disciple of reason but also one of romance and passion."
11. "The past, like the future, is indefinite and exists only as a spectrum of possibilities."
12. "The universe is not indifferent to our existence -- it depends on it."
13. "There is no unique picture of reality."
14. "When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have."
15. "Work gives you meaning and purpose, and life is empty without it."
What will give you inspiration to pursue your passion despite your own set of personal difficulties? How could you rise above today?
Michelle Bakjac is an experienced Psychologist, Organisational Consultant, Coach, Speaker and Facilitator. As Director of Bakjac Consulting, she is a credentialed Coach with the International Coach Federation (ICF) and a member of Mental Toughness Partners and an MTQ48 accredited Mental Toughness practitioner. Michelle assists individuals and organisations to develop their Mental Toughness to improve performance, leadership, behaviour and wellbeing.