The Biggest Room In Any Organisation Is
The Room For Improvement
Recently I read this quote and had to wonder how many leaders in organisations regularly review the type of leadership they are displaying within their team. Are they “leading by example”? Are they imparting vision, setting direction, instilling confidence, encouraging commitment, embracing challenges?
It made me consider a list of reflective questions that leaders should perhaps ask themselves? Consider:
· Do you set a positive tone and pace for the work climate?
· Do you inspire in others a desire to do their best?
· Are you enthusiastic about your own work?
· Do you look at ways to succeed even if the way ahead is not clear?
· Are you organised and do you help others to be organised?
· Are you committed to dedicated action?
· Do you demonstrate through your actions your ability to embrace challenge?
· Are you consistent in your words and actions?
· Do you visualise your team’s success and share that vision with your team?
· Do you focus your goals and energy on the activities providing the highest payoff for your team and your organisation?
· Is your team consistently operating in crisis mode?
· Do you encourage team members to participate in the planning process and contribute their insights and take ownership of outcomes?
· Do you demonstrate an “attitude of ownership” toward your work?
· Do you focus exclusively on your own needs as a leader or do you recognise the needs of your team?
Assessing your own Mental Toughness and that of your team may be a great place to start, using the MTQ48 (Mental Toughness Questionnaire).
You can assess:
Control – your own self efficacy and self-worth and that of your team
Commitment – tenacity / stickability. Are you and your team committed to dedicated action?
Challenge – do you and your team see challenges or threats?
Confidence – do you and your team have individual self-belief and does the team have confidence in itself?
If you would like to enhance your leadership skills and assess your own Mental Toughness and that of your team, contact Michelle Bakjac at Bakjac Consulting on 0412047590 or firstname.lastname@example.org